Sunday, July 15, 2007

Thursday's Momma


A while back when I was reading the comics in another format (now I use the personalized comics page that the Houston Chronicle lets you set up... does anyone know how to make those work on Sundays?), I got so tired of having to wait for another pop-up window for Garfield that I cut it out of my daily reading. It just so wasn't worth it. In fact, I won't ever make fun of Garfield here because it's just so beyond the pale bad. But when I stopped reading it, I jumped directly down to Momma afterwards and I noticed that I actually thought Momma was better than Garfield.

I've got to say, even though I don't think that it's one of the better comics out there, I've always been mildly charmed by Momma's awkwardness - both in its art and in its writing. The jokes may be convoluted at times and pretty lame at others, but they're usually messy enough to make me feel like I've broadened my horizons just a little bit.

So, point of the story, I found Thursday's Momma funny. Thomas's shouting "Cool!" at the new recipe his wife is trying, Momma's deer-in-the-headlights look of terror, and Thomas's wife turning her head around like an owl to look at Thomas in a bed half his size with his glasses make the joke all that much funnier.

No comments: