Saturday, May 26, 2007

Thursday's Hagar the Horrible


This might be funny if there were a common restaurant menu item actually known as "Miss Prissy's raw vegetable salad delight" or something at least close to that. But that's not the point.

What is the point is the gender transgressive name there. The "Miss Prissy" is a rather feminine name, which I think is supposed to be the "joke" of this strip, but it's juxtaposed with the word "raw". Honestly I would be surprised if at least a majority of vegetables in a salad weren't raw, so I think this is supposed to inform the interpretation of this strip. When I think of "Miss Prissy" and "raw" right next to each other, I'm thinking someone knows how to spank and whip a boy like a real princess. (Hmmmm... maybe that image coming up first says more about me than it does about this comic.) Hagar and his crew, sans Lucky Eddie, have walked into a restaurant operated by an S&M dom with a kooky sense of humor. And they're mad about that, for some reason.

That joke, to me, is pretty funny. I want to go to a restaurant run by a kooky S&M dom!

No comments: